Arusha, Tanzania Safaris
Location: Nothern Tanzania Safari Circuit Hub
Centrally located to the northern safari circuit of Tanzania, Arusha is a host to many recreation spots, exciting things to do and ultimately, the place to relax as you unwind for your long journeys. There are immensely wonderful locations close to Arusha that are tourist destinations which include:
- Serengeti National Park – Enjoined with the famous Masai Mara in neighbouring Kenya, Arusha provides a hub via which tourists can fly to from various destinations. The town serves as an ideal stopover before embarking on a Tanzania safari in the Serengeti
- Ngorongoro Crater– Ideal place to see the big five especially within Ngorongoro Crater. There are huge herds of wildebeest roaming within the fields of the crater especially during their annual migration
- Mount Kilimanjaro– Mt. Kilimanjaro is the highest mountain in Africa. Lying close to the border between Kenya and Tanzania, it presents an ideal hiking experience more so for beginners and semi-pros. Despite being the highest mountain in Africa, it is relatively easy to climb. Arusha, being close to Mt. Kilimanjaro, acts as a base before tourists can take the long endurance test up the mountain. There are great places to relax in as well as activities to engage in either at the ascent or descent of your safari from Mt. Kilimanjaro.
- Lake Manyara National Park– Arusha being at close proximity to this famous lake offers opportune moments to view wildlife at its best. With flamingoes flocking in and a variety of animals roaming about, any visitor to this lake is bound to have a great time here. Campers are welcome as there are great places to camp in the night while star gazing.
- Mount Meru– Located in Arusha National park, standing at 4565 meters above sea level, you will require the park rangers to guide you due to the wide range of animals that call this mountain a home. There are spectacular views to behold as you hike up including a morning sunrise with views of Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Meru crater.
- Tarangire National Park – Lying south of Lake Manyara, Tarangire National Park is an attractive destination in Tanzania’s northern circuit safaris. It is best known for its high concentration of elephants. However, it is highly seasonal and is only at its best towards the end of the dry season during the great migration as animals began their great sojourn up north.
When to go on a Nothern Circuit Safari in Tanzania
The ideal time to visit Arusha is based on weather patterns with the dry season being the best tie to visit. However, based on the safari itinerary one has in mind, even the wet seasons can be lucrative.
Quick Fingertips Facts:
- Best time to go on Kenyan Safaris: June-Oct; Jan-Feb
- High Season: Jul-Nov, Jan-Feb: There is a risk of overcrowding in budget areas of the Tarangire, Serengeti, Lake Manyara or Ngongoro. A client seeking luxurious accommodation such as Serengeti Serena Lodge, Serengeti Under Canvas tented camps or other luxurious lodges on safari need not worry.
- Low Season: Mar-May: Characterized by heavy rainfall; some camps tend to close. Very cheap prices and related charges
- Best Weather to go on Kenya safaris: June-Oct
- Worst Weather to go on Kenya Safari: March-May
Where to Stay in Arusha, Tanzania Safari
- Arumeru River Lodge– an easy access place to relax at, just minutes away from the International Airport and from Arusha town. With magnificent views of the majestic Mt. Kilimanjaro, the Arumeru River Lodge is spread over 12 acres of manicured lawns that are dotted with large old trees to give a feel of relaxation as well as comfort.
- Arusha Coffee Lodge– This haven of relaxation is centered in a large field of coffee plantation meters away from Mount Meru. The striking coffee aroma is bound to make your day with its homely feel in Arusha Coffee Lodge. Whether you choose to begin or end your stay here, it is worth every minute of it.
- Legendary Lodge– Only 15 minutes away from Kilimanjaro international airport, this lodge is a perfect place to reflect on your safaris in Tanzania. Offering you classic accommodation and tranquil tropical gardens, Legendary Lodge offers guests a chance to mingle with nature in its captivating settings surrounded by trees.
- Machweo Wellness Retreat– With its name depicting the sunset, you can enjoy a sundowner in this lodge that is close to the Meru mountain, Maasai steppes and Monduli Mountains. It is an ideal location for a coveted honeymoon as the suites are designed to reflect intimate moments as well as create new memories.
- Ngurdoto Lodge– With its proximity to the Arusha National Park, you can be assured this is a busy lodge to be at. However, with its 280 rooms that include 12 presidential suites, the staff offer professional service to ensure every guest is treated like loyalty.
- Rivertrees Country Inn– With a nostalgic air of a well-preserved home, this inn creates an aura of a sanctuary both for man and animals. As a natural extension of mount Meru, it acts as home to some species of birds and animals that are indigenous to the place. A stay here will not only give a time to relax but also time to interact with nature.
What to do in Arusha, Tanzania Safari
- Hiking Mt. Meru and Mt. Kilimanjaro
- Community excursions to complement the animal-centric safaris.
- Game viewing of the big five at Ngorongoro Crater
- Bird watching
- Visit to Lake Manyara
- Sunrise and star gazing